Monday, May 16, 2011

Inspiring Documentary Films

            Over the past year or so, I've been taking advantage of Netflix, and more recently, Hulu, and have been seeking out and watching a lot of documentaries.  I’m a sponge when it comes to information and learning about our world, and I feel very fortunate to be living in a time when many discoveries are being made, new tools to observe and understand the Universe are being developed, and information is more widely shared and accessible than ever before.
            The following films have broadened my perspective and exposed me to new ideas, or perhaps simply presented basic ideas in more comprehensive or spectacular ways.  Some have social implications, some spiritual, some historical. Some are hard to watch. Some literally took my breath away.  Some have given me glimpses into aspects of existence and ways of life I’d never considered before. I try to absorb some of the more esoteric ideas with both an open mind and a healthy dose of critical thinking, and the more I learn, the more I see how things connect and fit together into the Big Picture.
            All of these films have given me food for thought, which I have been contemplating and processing, slowly developing an ever-expanding concept of how the Universe works, our place in it, and what it all means.
            If you’re seeking to expand your knowledge of the world, I recommend the following films, which can be found on Netflix, Hulu, or on the internet:
 
David Attenborough’s Life series:
            Life in the Undergrowth
            The Private Life of Plants
            Life In Cold Blood
            The Life of Birds
            The Life of Mammals
            Life on Earth
Attenborough in Paradise
The Queen of Trees
The Story of India series
Connections series by James Burke
The Nature of Things: Biomimicry Parts 1 and2
Dirt, The Movie
Food, Inc.
Quantum Activist
The Nature of Existence
Fractals; Hunting The Hidden Dimension
10 Questions for the Dalai Lama
This Emotional Life series
Lord of the Ants
We Live In Public
Disney’s Oceans
Babies
The Human Machine
Fractals; The Colors of Infinity
Wild China series
Alex Grey: Chapel of Sacred Mirrors
Exit Through The Giftshop
Nova Science Now: How Does the Brain Work?
Nova Science Now: Can We Live Forever?
Nova Science Now: How Smart Are Animals?
I Like Killing Flies
National Geographic: Skin
National Geographic: Guns, Germs and Steel
National Geographic: The Incredible Human Machine
National Geographic: Moment of Death
Water: The Great Mystery
Unmistaken Child
Solitary Confinement
The Buddha
The Human Face
Note by Note: The Making of Steinway L1037
Rivers and Tides
Between the Folds
Witch Hunt
Jesus Camp
Urban Explorers: Into The Darkness
Egypt: Engineering an Empire
The Meaning of Food
Word Wars
The Phoenix Lights
Commune
Deliver Us From Evil
The Blue Planet series
The Cosmic Journeys series

 I've also just discovered Documentary Heaven, which I plan on thoroughly exploring!

1 comment:

  1. You definately need to watch "Darshan:the embrace". It's on Netflix

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear your feedback - please feel free to leave comments for us!